Welcome to the
Machine Protection and Electrical Integrity Group
The MPE group is part of CERNs Technology Department (TE) and is responsible for the magnet protection system and machine interlocks for the CERN accelerator complex. The MPE group supports the operation of CERN’s accelerator complex by developing, maintaining and operating state‐of‐the art hardware and software technologies for magnet circuit protection and interlock systems for present and future accelerators, magnet test facilities and several CERN hosted experiments.
The group furthermore provides a CERN wide, centralized service for the layout design, prototyping, industrialization and production of electronics modules. The developments are based on industrial standards, providing at the same time expertise for application specific designs where CERN is at the forefront of technological developments.
The MPE group is in addition involved in several transversal projects across the accelerator sector, providing expertise in a wide range of areas including electronics and electrical engineering, reliability engineering, controls and software technologies as well as the operation and performance analysis of superconducting magnet circuits.
Examples of responsibilities include amongst others:
- Responsibility for the magnet protection system and machine interlocks for the CERN accelerator complex, including design, construction and exploitation.
- Coordination of the machine protection systems and magnet circuit performance evaluation of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
- Electronics procurement services, aiming at assuring best practices and expertise for the design quality and reliability of electronics required by CERN groups and users.
- Specific studies related to machine protection for topics that extend across different systems.
- Responsibility for the functional operation of distribution feed-boxes (DFBs), superconducting links and their auxiliary equipment.
- Responsibility for the electrical integrity of superconducting magnet circuits. Responsibility for the electrical quality assurance (ELQA), electrical diagnostics and interventions during accelerator operation, upgrades and technical stops.
- Application of best practices in terms of reliability engineering, following state-of-the-art technologies and further development of the knowledge for the design, construction and operation of failsafe and reliable accelerator protection systems.
MPE Group Organisation
Andrzej Siemko, x78649
Markus Zerlauth, x70993
Macarena González Torres, x76635
MPE-EE: F. Rodriguez-Mateos, x62923
MPE-EM: R. Berberat, x71887
MPE-EP: R. Denz, x73798
MPE-MI: J. Uythoven, x74170
MPE-MS: M. Zerlauth, x70993
MPE-PE: A. Verweij, x79423